Want to know more? Read on:
- Campbell, Lord George, Log Letters from the Challenger, (London, 1877).
- Moseley, H. N., Notes by a Naturalist on HMS Challenger, (London, 1892).
- Rehbock, Philip F., At Sea With the Scientifics, The Challenger Letters of Joseph Matkin, (Hawaii, 1992).
- Spry, W. J. J., The Cruise of HMS Challenger, (Detroit, 1878).
- Various, Report on the Scientific Results of the Voyage of HMS Challenger, Murray, John and Sir C. Wyville Thomson (eds), 50 vols. (London, 1885-1895). Freely available online
- Wyville Thompson, Sir C., The Atlantic, A Preliminary Account of the General Results of the Exploring Voyage of HMS Challenger. (New York, 1878).
- Archive of Challenger related material including reports and narratives
- NOAA article comparing the Challenger expedition to modern (2003) expeditions. Also contains links to other media and education resources related to Challenger
- Educational site about Challenger from the Scripps Institute of Oceanography. Contains detailed but accessible explanations about the vessel, people, equipment and expedition itself:
- Brief history of HMS Challenger on the ‘About Us’ page of the Challenger Society for Marine Science
- RAMM HMS Challenger project blog
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online entry for HMS Challenger, also links to articles about Wyville Thomson and Murray etc